Orthodontics for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in four orthodontic patients are over the age of 18.
More and more adults are choosing to seek orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. However, for many others, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from visiting with an orthodontist.
To alleviate these concerns, we offer aesthetic ceramic brackets along with clear aligners as alternatives to traditional metal braces for adults. People everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive high-quality orthodontic treatment, and now you can, too!
Common Reasons to Seek Treatment Include:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Crowded or spaced apart teeth, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
The Difference Between Child and Adult Orthodontic Treatment
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery possible to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) – Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth – Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen – Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Why You Should Consider Treatment
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth – Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence – Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse – Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about our consultations and treatment options, visit our office or contact us today!